Tuesday 5 October 2010

Tuesday

Shrimp and Mayo Platter
Today was a great day. I made mayo, bean salad and amazing apple chutney. The chutney took forever. I peeled and chopped everything under the sun then put it in a huge pot and simmered it for hours. It was totally worth it though. I was supposed to cook shrimp but they came already cooked so I worked on my presentation skills and made a pretty nice plate. Presentation is almost as important as the food itself.

Bean Salad
My bean salad was so simple and yummy. French beans cooked and 'refreshed' aka dunked in ice cold water after boiling then paired with peas and pomegranate seeds for garnish. It looked amazing.

The Mayo was a process. Did you know mayo is not supposed to be white! Simple and delicious mayo is an egg yolk, mustard, white wine vinegar and oil. The trick is adding the oil VERY slowly to the rest of the mixture. We all stood in our kitchens crying in pain from all the whisking. It was worth it though. My mayo was great!

Darina was back teaching demo today. It was Mexican theme. Beans and tortillas, guacamole and a hot salsa. Tasting afterwards was a treat. I went up for thirds... no need for dinner tonight.  She made a jam and some sorbet as well which was also delicious. Oh and she made these orange scones that were amazing. She put orange rind in the scone mixture then rolled it out into this big rectangle. She combined some orange to butter and layered it on top of the scone mixture. Then she rolled everything like a jelly roll and cut it into pieces. The outcome was delicious and delicious looking. So simple and so yummy.

Apple and Tomato Chutney (great with Shepherds Pie)
Tomorrow is all day lecture/demo. I need to get in early for a comfy seat. We have wine tasting tomorrow morning. Wine at 9am doesn't sound appetizing to me but I guess i have to get used to it.

Its been so enjoyable getting to know everyone on the course. There are people from all walks of life here. My little cottage is 'blessed' to have two of the 'four guys' on the course living in it so as you can image our house is very popular. There is always a hive of activity here which is alot of fun. Tonight though everyone is at the Black Bird pup so my other
house mates Rosie, Rosie and I have the house to ourselves so we are drinking tea and enjoying the peace! Its so nice.
To bed to dream about orange buttered scones!
Night

No comments:

Post a Comment