Saturday 30 October 2010

Exam Week

Blackcurrant Fool with Shortbread Biscuits
I have been so behind on my blogging. Its been a crazy week. I've been cooking, traveling and studying. This past Friday was our exam day. It was like Master Chef.... We were all so nervous. We were given a list of what we needed to know for our practical exam.....everything from jointing a chicken to making caramel. Not only did you have to perfectly execute the dish but you had to use all the right bowls, spoons and knives. I was shaking... I had to peel and segment an orange, make mayonnaise, chop and sweat an onion and make a paper piping bag.  I actually got off pretty easy compared to what my friends got...and I was happy with the end result.

We had a herb and salad leaf recognition exam as well. I never knew there were more than 10 lettuce leaves but i left for the green house early in the morning to cram. I think i did pretty well and i'll never look at a salad the same again.

This weekend we are all enjoying some relaxation. We are having a Halloween party tonight in the court yard. I baked cookies this morning, decorated them and dressed up my roommate as a fairy.... the kind of fairy you release from soda bread.. :) Its been a great relaxing weekend after a stressful week.

Sunflower Bread
Last week I made an amazing blackcurrant fool, shortbread biscuits, Salmon pate, amazing soups and a killer sunflower shaped bread.

We had a couple more wine and cheese lectures and a pizza demonstration. The pizza demonstration was absolute torture. I was so hungry and they were making one incredible pizza after another. The best pizza place in the world (apparently) is in Naples. They make only two pizzas and they have lines out the door all day. I'm planning on proving this theory and eating there myself... :) Some day... Pizzas are a wonderful thing... the most important things to remember are a thin crust and not a lot of toppings..

Off the enjoy the evening and the rest of the weekend here at wonderful Ballymaloe

No comments:

Post a Comment