Thursday 21 October 2010

The Adventures Continue...

Irish Fry
Tuesday was fry day..... we all had to make a tradition Irish breakfast. There was a competition for the best fry... which I think I JUST missed out on :) We had to make the perfect egg along with streaky bacon, rashers, sausages, mushrooms, toast, black pudding, white pudding and a tomato. Freddie, my partner in crime was a great assistant and we toasted our fries with a mimosa at the end of the morning. Besides the fry I made buttermilk pancakes and apple muesli, it was a great morning.

Wednesday was lecture day and we had Darina's sister come in and talk about restaurant management. She had a really great style of teaching. We started the day in an empty room and ended up in small groups doing case studies. We learned about what makes a food business successful and what doesn't.We ended the night in the Pink Cottage having a family dinner. Remember that sandwich chest I mentioned a couple weeks ago. Well we replicated that and it turned out great. It was a great night celebrating a new house mate. We had Nick move in our spare room so our male count goes up to three.... yikes!

Freddie and I toasting
Today was my last day cooking with Freddie and I will miss my morning cups of tea he made and the craic. Today was also the best day working with Freddie. We were making éclairs, chilli, fish goujons with mayo and rice. Whatever Freddie was on it was rubbing off on me. I forgot which oven I put my éclairs in and I ended up almost burning them. My chilli was smoking hot and I cut my finger on the magi mix.  To cap off the morning we were short a teaspoon and a tablespoon from our section. It doesn't sound major but we cannot leave our kitchen until everything is accounted for.  I sent Freddie on a mission to see if he could take one from another kitchen without anyone noticing. We were like spies sneaking from kitchen to kitchen. It was a great laugh.
Chilli with rice and salsa

My éclairs turned out fine once I covered them in chocolate and filled them with cream. We took the extra pastry and deep fried it and covered it in cinnamon sugar. I think I ate about a tonne of that which made me a little sick. It was so good though.

We had Rachel in lecture today which I always enjoy. We made a couple Indian dishes, breads and some amazing chocolate desserts. After a quick clean up we had a short 'wine' lecture and tasted a couple different sherries.

This weekend i'm heading back to Belfast for the long holiday weekend. I'm going to collect my car and head to Dublin then onto Wexford to enjoy some R&R with friends before heading back to school.

Hope you are all well... good night!

2 comments:

  1. Black pudding Mmmm I can hardly wait for a Laura cooked meal...I will supply the ingredients and you provide the work hahahahahaha
    Seriously Uncle Norman and I LOVE reading your blog and are so proud of you for trying something different Way TO GO LAURA!!!!!

    ReplyDelete