Monday 18 October 2010

The Adventures of Freddie and Laura

Freddie excited about his presentation. 
Monday started and ended with two band-aids and one amazing soup. :) I managed to cut my fingers on the blade of the saran wrap box. It put a little damper on my day but working with Freddie made up for it. Freddie was making a wonderful whiskey sauce and ended up making sugar soup.. :) It starts as caramel which is just sugar and water and somehow it turned bad and next thing I knew he was stirring a pot of sugar water... I spend the next couple of minutes doubled over and came to in time for him to start again. To his credit he did redeem himself and got a 6/6 for his sauce. It was really good.

He followed that with an amazing mash potato and somehow managed to get credit for a bacon chop he never made! Classic.

I made my first brown yeast bread and it turned out a little heavy but it wasn't a total disaster. I followed that with a beautiful green watercress soup. Its amazing how something so delicious just grows in the wild... and is completely free. I started with onions and potatoes then added water and tonnes and tonnes of watercress. I boiled it then liquidized it. It turned into a beautiful green color and it tasted wonderful :)

Our demo today was all about breakfast. Poached eggs, boiled eggs, easy overs, sunny side up, black and white puddings, rashers, solider toast etc etc.... It helps that I have an English mom so I had some idea what black pudding was. Tomorrow i'll be cooking and tasting it for the first time. 

Tonight was really cold. We all huddled around the barbecue where someone was making pizza.....yes pizza on a barbecue. It was really good. We turned on some music and practiced our waltz and spun till we were dizzy. 

I'm exhausted as usual and ready for bed. I'll be dreaming about black pudding and eggs tonight.  

No comments:

Post a Comment