Tuesday 21 September 2010

Day Two

Its 11pm and I'm finally able to sit and write about today. It was an early start for me in the herb garden. I was collecting the herbs for the morning. After that we all met in the lecture hall for a quick demonstration followed by some 'house keeping' We have a broken light in our cottage. :)

We were schooled on all the rotas which was alot to take in. Thankfully tomorrow I have no duties but Friday I have hosting and serving duties.

Today we cooked for the first time. It was exciting to use my new knives and i'm happy to report all fingers are still intact! Today we chopped onions and carrots for Carrot and Cumin soup which turned out delicious. After that we made Mushroom a la Creme which was also delicious. For dessert we made a Summer Fruit Salad with a very sugary syrup.... aka Sweet Geranium Leaves. We were closely watched by our teacher which was reassuring and lunch turned out to be edible for us all. I ate alot of salad and kept the rich a la creme to a small portion! We had a quick break and then onto our lecture and demonstration.

Salads, tarts and more soups were created. Tomorrow is my first day solo cooking. I will be cooking Onion and Thyme Leap Soup and a French Onion Tart. We had to make out an 'Order of Work' which reminded me of my GCSE in Food and Nutrition. We have from 9am - 12 and my tart is due out of the oven at 12 on the dot. So fingers crossed I can get it all done.

A nice walk this evening with friends followed by a Tescos run to cap off the evening. Bed time comes fast but the morning comes even sooner. On a happy note I heard no roosters this morning, lets hope I don't jinx myself.

Tips of the day!

Apples:
Brown seeds - ripe apples
White seeds- unripe apples

Salads:
Wash salads and DRY. If the salad is wet the dressing will be diluted.
Bagged salads found in most grocery stores look nice and say they are washed but are full of chlorine. More chlorine than in 10 swimming pools! They are also not grown in soil but water so lack alot of nutrients.
Dressing is so easy to make.... there is no need for Wish Bone!

Favorite Things:
The Lemonaid. We have home made lemonaid every day and its the best thing you've ever tasted.
Chopping onions. I think I am getting faster and faster.

More pictures to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment