Wednesday 22 September 2010

Day 3

I survived my first full day in the kitchen. My soup was a 5.5 out of 6 and my French Onion Tart was a 5. My crust was too thick on the bottom and it was ever so slightly overcooked :( brutal!

I was in the kitchen at 8am weighing all my ingredients and gathering everything I needed for the morning. We are allowed to start cooking at 9am when the teachers arrive. I had a full morning and was pulling my tart out of the oven at 12pm on the dot. I'm getting used to using lbs and oz instead of cups.

Sadly i didn't have my camera to capture my first prepared dish. I will say it looked great and it tasted amazing! Tomorrow is a lecture day and Friday i'll be making raspberry jam and a mushroom penne.

3 year old Parmesan Cheese Wheel.
 Our lecture and demonstration today was done by Darinas brother. We had a special guest Peter Ward who talked to us about cheese, specifically Parmesan cheese. He bought in two massive wheels and cut them. We tasted them and he preached the importance of fresh ingredients and knowing exactly where what your eating comes from! This cheese wheel has 1200 pints of milk in it! The cheese is ready to eat when there are crystals inside of it.

After the cheese talk we were treated to an amazing presentation of jam making followed by an amazing hazelnut and chocolate tart. Yes they use fresh hazelnuts from the tree outside our class window. Incredible! Then he made the best thing i've ever eaten. This incredible hot sausage penne. It was so good when it came time to tasting i waited around and pinched seconds and then thirds. It was just amazing food. He made a Greek salad and a tomato and mozzarella cheese salad. Did you know mozzarella comes from bufallo milk? He topped off the demonstration with the easiest fluffiest most Divine scones. It literally took him 10 minutes to make. They were topped with fresh cream and the fresh raspberry jam. Just look at the picture how could you not want to eat everything?

Greek Salad, Scones, Fruit Tart, Chocolate Hazelnut Tart & Penne

After feasting my house mate and I took a 2 hour walk around the country and down to the beach. The weather is beautiful and we are taking advantage of the daylight while we can. I'm happy to report I can still fit into my jeans and I'm planning on keeping up with these walks so I can fit into them come week 12!

Tomorrow is lecture all day no cooking so it will be interesting. I'm on no duties tomorrow which is nice. I can sleep in for a change and relax until 9am.

Favorite things:
- Amazing Penne
- The Lemon aid. (Its seriously that good)
- Brown bread made fresh every morning

Not so favorite things:
- Roosters

No comments:

Post a Comment