Thursday 4 November 2010

Pork and Orzo

Its starting to feel like I live in Ireland. The warm sunny (unusual) weather has turned sunless, cold and wet. Its actually kind of nice because it makes you want to be inside behind a stove cooking something warm and delicious. Demos seem to end in the evenings as its so dark out by the time we are walking home. This afternoon I sat with a cup of tea watching Rachel teach as it rain and blew a storm outside. It was so cozy and relaxing.

Pork, Orzo and Green Beans
This morning I made a really delicious pork dish. Pork with gentle spices which included cumin seeds, coriander  and cardamon seeds. I sauted onions coated the pork in the spices then sauted it with the onions. Then I removed the pork and added cream and stock to the sauce and reduced it. Finally I added the pork and the dish was finished. It was really delicious but I think I over cooked the pork slightly. Along with the pork I made orzo which I was really nervous about. The secret is in the timing, I always seem to mess up the simplest things. I stood over the pot of boiling water and watched each grain cook morsel by morsel because I was determined to do it right. My waiting paid off and the orzo was perfect in about 10 minutes. I added some butter and chopped parsely and it was perfection.

I wanted to make something sweet so I decided to make some chocolate toffee squares which judging by the half empty tin this evening, they turned out pretty good :) It's a painful but rewarding process. Starting with a shortcrust base (butter flour and sugar) I baked it in a flat cookie pan for 15 minutes until slightly golden brown. I let that cool and made the toffee. Sugar, condensed milk and butter bubbled away in a pan for over 20 minutes and I stood there stirring it the whole time because it can burn easily. To make sure its done I dropped a bit into cool water and formed a ball with the cool toffee. Then I spread that on the cool shortcrust base and melted chocolate for the finale. Actually the finally was a special secret ingredient.... salt. I sprinkled some maldon sea salt over the chocolate and my chocolate toffee squares were finished and absolutely delightful. I am planning on making money off those some day :)

Tonight was spent filing recipes. Each day we receive about 10 recipes which we have to put in plastic sleeves and file in large binders. I was behind a couple days so I finished quicker than some of my house mates who were behind a couple weeks. :( Its 10:30 and i'm looking forward to bed. Tomorrow I'll be making a chicken casserole, bread and champ.

Before I go something great I learned today....
For over salted dishes, ie soups.... add half a potato and allow it to simmer. The potato will absorb the access salt.... this ti;p has become real handy :)

Looking forward to the weekend. I can't believe its here already! Good night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment